Sticking to a vegan diet doesn’t mean that you get to miss out on delicious sweet desserts and with our healthy vegan lemon meringue, you can satisfy your cravings without having to worry about your diet. With the right natural ingredients, you can create a sweet dessert that is egg-free and dairy-free that is perfect for your vegan diet.
Preparing Your Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie
You don’t need to hunt for exotic ingredients to create your vegan dessert. A quick trip to a local market or grocery store has everything you need to make your delicious mouth-watering vegan lemon meringue pie.
- Stand Mixer with Whisk Attachment
- Medium Sized Bowl
- Medium Sized Saucepan
- Food Processor
- Utensils for measuring
- Pie Tin
- Kitchen Blowtorch
Ingredients You Need to Prepare
The recipe is good for 10 servings which is more than enough for you, your family, and guests. We’ve divided the recipe into three parts to help you sort out which ingredients go where.
Ingredients for the Meringue
- 115 ml of aquafaba
- 150 g of castor oil
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon of lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon of cream of tartar
Ingredients for the Lemon Curd
- 300 g of granulated/caster sugar
- 65 g of corn starch
- ⅛ tablespoon of sea salt
- 235 ml whole fat oat milk
- 115 ml of water
- 235 ml of lemon juice
- 1 unwaxed lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 15 g of vegan butter
Ingredients for the Pie Crust
- 325 g of plain white flour
- ½ tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon of caster sugar
- 115 g of solidified cool coconut oil
- 8 tablespoon of ice-cold water
Making the Meringue
After preparing the ingredients of your vegan meringue pie the next step is to prepare the vegan meringue. The meringue brings the soft and chewy crisp texture of your lemon pie but instead of using egg, aquafaba is used instead.
- To prepare your meringue, take the aquafaba and place it in a bowl. Using a stand mixer fitted with a wish attachment begin to mix the aquafaba at a high-speed setting for at least 2 minutes.
When the aquafaba turns into a thick and foamy mixture, switch the setting of the stand mixer to low and add the premeasured ingredients to the bowl like the castor oil, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cream of tartar. Mix the ingredients for at least 5-8 minutes with the stand mixer.
Preparing the Lemon Curd
When you are done making the vegan meringue, the next step is to prepare the lemon curd.
- Using a medium-sized saucepan, combine the following premeasured ingredients into the pan; Add the granulated/castor sugar, cornflour, sea salt, oat milk, water, lemon juice, unwaxed lemon zest, and turmeric powder. Whisk the ingredients and place over medium or low heat. Heat for about 5 minutes or until you notice that the mixture starts to thicken. Once the mixture is thick enough, turn off the heat and add the vegan butter. Stir the mixture until it cools.
Making the Pie Crust
The next step is to make the pie crust of your vegan lemon meringue pie. The first step is to measure the ingredients needed to make it easier once you start baking.
- Prepare the flour, salt, and sugar and add them into a food processor. Mix the ingredients for a couple of minutes. Check of the salt and sugar is uniformly distributed in the flour mixture.
- Next is to add the coconut oil into the processor and mix it together with the ingredients from step one. Mix until the coconut oil clumps together with the flour, salt, and sugar. While the food processor is running add 8 tablespoons of water, a tablespoon at a time until the dough is moist enough the hold together.
- Take the mixture out of the food processor, wrap in in an eco clingfilm and place it in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- After the dough has cooled enough in the refrigerator, take it out and gently add a fine layer of flour on a clean flat surface with flour. Place the dough in the flat surface and roll it out into a large circle large enough to extend over the pie tin for at least one and a half-inch. Knead gently until the dough is relatively flat and even.
- Slowly take the flat circular dough onto the pie tin and gently push into place without leaving any air pockets in between the pie tin. Tale the pie into the refrigerator and cool for at least 20 minutes
- Preheat the oven at 180 celsius
- After the pie crust is chilled, take it out from the refrigerator and prick the base of the crust with a fork and line the crust with baking parchment. Add in the baking beads and cover the edges with tin foil to avoid burning the edges.
- Bake the pie crust for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
Assembling Your Masterpiece
Once you have done preparing your vegan meringue, whipping up the lemon curd, and baking the pie crust, the next step is to assemble the healthy vegan lemon meringue pie.
- Take the cooled lemon curd and slowly pour it into the pie crust. Be careful not to overfill the pie crust and leave enough room for the vegan meringue.
- Cover the piecrust with lemon curd with an eco clingfilm and place it in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes too cool.
- Once cooled, add the vegan meringue into the lemon curd and use the kitchen blowtorch to heat the peaks of the meringue until they are golden brown.
After you add the vegan meringue on the lemon curd, your vegan lemon meringue pie is ready to serve. You can now enjoy a healthy and vegan dessert without breaking your diet. The Vegan Lemon Pie is good for at least a couple of days if stored properly in the refrigerator.